Friday, February 17, 2012

There are many requirements in obtaining a pilots license. Perhaps the most nerve racking is a cross country solo flight. From my first flight lesson, I was extremely nervous to get that requirement completed. Finally, the day of my cross country solo arrived. I would first fly from Manassas, VA to Lynchburg, VA (a total distance of about 150 nautical miles). I would then go From Lynchburg to Richmond, VA, and finally back to Manassas. I woke up that morning to a ringing telephone. To my relief, it was too windy to do the flight that day. I scheduled it again for the next few weekends, but for some reason a different meteorological phenomenon kept me grounded. Finally a perfect day came. I drove myself to the airport thinking of the task at hand. What if I get lost? What if something goes wrong? So much was running through my mind. I arrived at the airport, and before I knew it I was preparing my plane for the days flight. I got clearance and taxied to the runway. Before I knew it, I was rolling down the runway. I got up and continued south. The plane, lacking a GPS was working like a horse, and I quickly proceeded to my destination. About an hour in, I noticed that the landmarks I was seeing on the ground did not match up to the ones I had highlighted on my aviation chart. I knew I was lost. I immediately contacted air traffic control and requested vectors to Lynchburg. The kind air traffic controller helped me out, and after about an hour and a half of flight time, I had Lynchburg airport in sight. I landed into a strong headwind, parked, refueled and was back on my way. I was heading to Richmond in the windy conditions, and less than an hour later, I began to see the city skyline. It was such an awesome feeling to be so high over a populated area. It was different from the farms and mountains I was used to flying around. I had Richmond International Airport in sight, and I touched down smoothly among great sized commercial aircraft. Soon enough, I was on my way back to Manassas. The wind continued to blow me off course, but using navigational logic, I was able to make it back to my familiar practice area. I asked air traffic control for a clearance into the Washington DC Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA), but my request was denied. I continued to circle for a little bit, and the controller came back on clearing me in. I made it back to Manassas with a strong sense of accomplishment. I'd never been happier. After that day, I had every confidence in my piloting abilities.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's really awesome that you've had these flying experiences. I've never been able to solo, but I've had a few flying lessons, and found it an unbelievable experience to fly over beaver stadium. I felt like I was in complete control while my instructor secured me in he wouldn't let me crash. I couldn't imagine flying by myself, it would be so nerve racking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That seems very challenging, especially with all the wind.I know nothing about Planes, however I did go to the Wright Brothers’ Museum in Kitty Hawk, NC.

    ReplyDelete